10.04.2008

see below

Here's another. Again, I remind you that these will not be printed and spirited away into big white envelopes to my top-choice schools. These are just to get the writing ball rolling.

At the moment, I have a bit of a dilemma. There seem to be a few baby insects in my room, and I'm not quite sure where they've come from. And when I say that I mean that there is currently an army-sized horde of mysterious bugs swarming over my carpet and I think they may have been placed in my room as punishment from some very cruel god.
I don't know what to do with them, exactly. Obviously, they can't stay in my bedroom, running rampant on their spindly little legs and - claws?! Those are definitely pincers. Now I'm convinced. I'm being punished. Of all the baby animals to show up unannounced in my bedroom in all their infantile glory, why ones with pincers?
After careful analysis (from a safe distance), it turns out they're preying mantis babies. At least the identification crisis is over...now, what to do with them? I can't kill them or exterminate them in any other way. That's simply out of the question. I don't kill things. It's just not an option.

There appear to be more of them. A courageous few are steadily scaling my amplifier cords. The rest are exploring the vast tundra of white carpet, and they're moving right along. This is a dire situation. If they spread out, I might not find them all, and that could be very, very bad. I like bugs, and I like preying mantises especially, but not as roommates.
Upon consulting the shelf that I fill with things I find outside (affectionately referred to in my house as "Ali's dead shelf"), including enough feathers to replicate Icarus' project if I was so inclined, woodchuck jawbones with teeth painstakingly glued into place, and a multitude of rocks, I finally discover the culprit source: a tiny oval-shaped pod that I thought looked "interesting" (the kiss of death when concerning anything unidentifiable) when I found it a few weeks ago. It's writhing complacently in its designated spot on my shelf as tiny, perfect preying mantis babies emerge from it and begin their pilgrimage across my room.
After several hours spent in close proximity to my bug house, the preying mantises, and a piece of paper (if you ever need to pick up extremely small bugs, or just insects in general, invest in one), I'm pretty sure I've rounded them all up. I've done my duty as an animal lover; they've all been delivered safely to the holly bush in the front yard.

Wait, there's another...and another. My guests are still showing up in various corners and crevices of the room, and I have a feeling that the next few days will be plagued with baby insects in need of rescue. I guess that's what you get for having a dead shelf.

No comments: