12.29.2008

the new mr. darcy?

I have a shameful confession to make. After a good few months worth of disgusted tsk-ing, merciless taunting, and endless jokes about the Twilight series, I finally sat down and read the first book.

That's nothing to be ashamed of, as far as I'm concerned; I'm pretty much willing to give any book a fair go, first of all, and second of all, I did not ask for or in any other way try to get my hands on the book independently. It was a Christmas gift. Along with an Edward Cullen poster. Should it frighten me that the instant my relations see a picture of a glowering, darkly-beautiful, pale vampire boy they think, "Oh, Ali will love this!" and buy it for me, knowing (and not caring) that I have no idea who the hell he is? Or should it make me proud?

Anyway. So I had the poster, and the fresh, yet-to-be-cracked Twilight book. Out of sheer boredom and a little bit of curiosity, I figured I might as well have the reading experience to go along with my other Twilight merchandise. This was at 10:30 at night.

When I finally read the last page at approximately 2:58 AM, I plopped my aching head down on my pillow and soon came to three rather startling conclusions:
1)I see what all the fuss was about. I understand why so many teenage girls are all a-flutter over this story.
2)That book was extremely well-written...no, really.
2) I am in love with a fictional character...once again.

This is the part I'm a little bit ashamed of.


Hello Mr. Darcy syndrome, part II.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am a little bit surprised that you found it well-written. I mean, I'm the first to suggest that I jumped from not really liking it to being way too hard on it, just to protect myself from the hordes of screaming fangirls who attack whenever a false word is spoken on the subject of Twilight. But well-written? I'd say not terribly written, but only if pressed and promised that no one could prove that I'd said it.
And in love with Edward Cullen? Oh Ali. I'm ashamed.... but not entirely surprised. Hehe... Love you.

Most ardently.

ali said...

don't get me wrong - it's not the best piece of literature ever written. i guess i was just expecting complete crap in the first place; i should've phrased it "well written...in a relative sense", thinking back. however, edward cullen is pretty beauteous, i'll stick to being partially in love with him. you know what they say about first loves though; there's no way he'll be overthrowing fitzwilliam darcy anytime soon. <3